LESSON 2 DIDI (a true story of a girl) Shaheen Mistri
DIDI BY SHAHEEN MISTRI
Shaheen Mistri is the CEO of the Teach for India. Teach for India is a nationwide mission. She has earned global recognition for her devotion to educating and empowering the less privileged children of India. She is also the Founder of the Akanksha Foundation. It is a non-profit organization with a mission to improve the lives of low-income children. It really helps them to transform their lives.
SUMMARY: “Didi” is an excerpt from “Redrawing India” by Shaheen Mistri & Kovid Gupta. This lesson tells us the real life story about Shaheen Mistri. It describes her initial steps of beginning her new mission. She shares her experience in India. Whenever she came to India for her vacation, she found the great sense of inequity in India. She met many poor children of India. She decided to take bold steps to do something for Indians. She took care of the poor children and educated them. She found a system called “Akanksha” to educate the children.
1). Read the following advertisement.
You wish to apply for a post. Prepare an application letter and a resume for the purpose.
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BIOMEDICAL GENOMICS
NETAJI SUBASH SANATORIUM
P O NSS
Sub: Job application letter
With reference to your advertisement found in the Hindu Daily, dated 24th February, I would like to apply for the post of technical assistant in your firm.
I have passed my degree with 90 % marks in every higher levels. I am very much eligible in handling English, Hindi, Malayalam and Tamil languages. I have experience as lab technician in Rajamukhi hospital Chennai.
I assure you that if I were selected, I would work very sincerely for the betterment of your firm. Besides, I will be very obedient to obey the rules and regulations of your firm.
I enclose herewith my resume for your kind notification.
123 MAIN STREET KARTHIK NAGAR, NILAYATHINKAL HOUSE KOLLAM 685457 CELL NO 8585854747
PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY: A technical assistant with government and academic experience conducting mechanical research, writing research papers for publication for successful fund raising. Driven by an unquenchable thirst for working as a mechanical assistant
- Complex problem solving
- Advanced mechanical and creative skills
- Mechanical related knowledge
- Strong physics background
- Development of successful projects.
- January 2012 to August 2014 Two years’ experience as Lab Technician In Rajamukhi Hospital in Chennai
- large data sets collected through observation and experiment.
- Prepared reports on research findings.
- Through applied research with keen interest assisted in accurate observations and data collection.
- Worked on research project funded by grants.
- Wrote grant proposals.
- Traveled to remote locations and often worked at night for better observation conditions.
- Assisted in the development of computer software to analyze data.
- Authored scientific papers for journals
- Designed telescopes, lasers and other scientific equipment.
- Conducted applied research related to GPS technology.
- 2007-2010 Graduate degree in Physics from Kerala University Campus
- 2011-2013 Post Graduation from Maharajas College Ernakulam
- Interested in Music,
- Plays Guitar and knows swimming
Member of the Charitable organization Pratheeksha
English, Hindi, Malayalam and Tamil
- Inspired by Shaheen Mistri, your School has decided to take up the task of providing free education to a selected group of poor, needy children. You would like to inform Shaheen about this new venture and invite her to visit your School. Write an e-mail to her.
SUB: FREE EDUCATION-PROGRAMME TO POOR CHILDREN
We are very much thankful to you for your efforts to uplift poor children of the society. When we studied more about you from our English Class, our friends and teachers are planning a project in our School to provide free education to a selected group of poor and needy children. We are really proud you. Our Village is a poor section and there are many poor children without getting good education. You are the right person to inaugurate this project in our School. We hope that you would be blessing us all with your sweet presence. We invite you very happily to inaugurate this project next Monday.
Prepared by Joy Peter C
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
From Teacher text of SCERT,